Your Guide to Electrical Inspections in Rental Property

Electrical testing rental properties

Is an electrical certificate mandatory in my rental property?

We get asked this a lot and up until recently, the answer has always been no.

Well, things are about to change! To help you through that change, we have written a simple guide to ensure you know your responsibilities.

Electical certificates in rental property Questions to ask when renting a property

What is an electrical certificate?


An electrical certificate or an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report) is an inspection of the electric installation in your property.  


A qualified electrician will carry out a full inspection of your fuseboard, wiring and electrical accessories.  This ensures that they are safe and up to standard.

What are my responsibilities as a landlord?

As of this year, the electrical safety standards in the private rented sector regulations 2020 placed a duty on landlords to maintain their rental property to electrical safety standards.  Landlords must be able to evidence this in the form of an EICR. 

This means your rental property must conform to the 18th edition of the wiring regulations.  Also, a competent qualified electrician must have issued a certificate to prove this.

Unfortuantely, this usually requires some remedial works to be carried out in order to bring your property up to current standards.  Always have this work completed by a qualified electrician.

When do I need to have this certificate?

If you are renting out a property, you need to have an EICR for any tenancy you create or renew on or after 1st July 2020.

For pre existing tenancies, you need to have this completed by 1st April 2021.

For lodgers or tenants who are on a long lease (7 years or more) you do not require an EICR. Electrical certificates in rental property

How often should my property be inspected?

Your EICR must be renewed every 5 years unless you make a change to your electrical installation, then a new one should be issued.

You should provide copies of your EICR to all tenants before they occupy the property and the local authority if they request it.

I already have an EICR, does this affect me?

Unfortunately, yes.  Unless you have had some major works completed on your property recently, it is likely that your current report will not be in keeping with the 18th edition wiring regulations.

However, always check your report and speak to a qualified electrician to make sure that you are compliant.

What happens if I don’t comply?

Hefty fines and powers have been put In place by local authorities to ensure that landlords comply with these regulations.  These include:

Civil penalties of up to £30,000 per breach.

Enforcing work to be done within a timescale of 28 days.

The local authority performing the necessary remedial works and then billing the landlord for them.

If you are in need of a qualified electrician in your area, visit

or alternatively give us a call and we would be more than happy to help.

We have a team of qualified electricians covering Hertfordshire, Essex and London.  Click Here for more information

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.